How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in VA Beach VA. A local hospital group has taken $400

Customer Question

I live in VA Beach VA. A local hospital group has taken $400 from my checking account (this happened 3 years ago and I just noticed it). They also made me pay for items covered by my insurance.
I have contacted them but they will not cooperate with me. Please advise me what to do.
Thank You,
Tania L Lasher
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to learn of this situation. You can file a small claims suit against them for breach of contract and fraud (the statute of limitations for fraud is 2 years - you can make an argument that there is a "delayed discovery", I don't think you will win this argument, but you can try - they will argue that you had access to your bank records and due diligence in reviewing them should have alerted you to the debit - a court is probably going to agree with them), the statute of limitations for breach of contract is 5 years and will cover your claim.

You can find information on small claims court in VA here:

You can also report the matter to the VA Attorney General's Office (the AG does not prosecute individual rights or claims, so they will not get your money back for you, but they do investigate claims of fraudulent business practices and can take administrative or criminal enforcement measures):

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions