How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1532
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother owes $2200 in insurance violations. Until it is

Customer Question

My brother owes $2200 in insurance violations. Until it is paid he cannot get his car tagged. He has no money and needs his car to get to work. Is there anything that can be done?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 2 years ago.

What he may want to consider doing is transferring the title into someone else's name, like yours, and then have you register the car in your name. Then you put him on your insurance and he covers the difference in prices between what you pay now and what you will pay in the future.

The only other possibility is to setup a payment plan to take care of the insurance violation. From the MVA website: "If the MVA's Insurance Compliance Division (ICD) has fined you for an insurance violation and you would like to arrange a payment plan to pay off your debt, you can be referred to the State of Maryland's Central Collection Unit (CCU). The CCU may be able to assist you in arranging a payment plan since the MVA does not offer payment plans. To qualify for the CCU payment plan, you must not owe money to the CCU because of another MVA fine. If you already have a payment plan through the CCU, you first must pay off the entire debt amount before you will be allowed to set up a new payment plan."

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback!