Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

On Aug 4, a transaction was made on my credit card. It

Customer Question
Hi, On Aug 4, a transaction...
On Aug 4, a transaction was made on my credit card. It belongs to AT&T, I don't recognise it. I have noticed it today, Aug 7. I just called both AT&T and my bank, Bofa. AT&T don't know anything about it. I disputed the transaction by calling Bofa, they told that they will respond to it within some days. My credit line is a total of 2600. AT&T charged a total of 61.82. Now my available credit is around 2546. Today I have to buy some apple products worth 2595, but my card will get diclined. Under this reason can I sue AT&T.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I am not a customer of AT&T and I never used AT&T
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/7/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

You can try suing them, but unfortunately, I don't see the measure of damages as being worth your time and effort. (Even in small claims court you are going to take 6-9 months of your time to go through the court process, hours spent filling out forms and in court, and end up with a nominal judgment).

Ultimately I cannot advise you one way or the other, obviously there was an error and AT&T should not have billed you. It was likely an issue of negligence (as opposed to intentional conduct - it would be nearly impossible to show this was an intentional tort), and AT&T may be able to show that it was not them that is the true tortfeasor, but rather one of their customers who entered your account information (you may very well be a victim of identity theft (in which case you may wish to review this link from the FTC: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer