Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I stored my household belongings, during a divorce, with a

Customer Question

I stored my household belongings, during a divorce, with a company who advertised 24/7 security, that all belongings be put on skids and shrink wrapped, climate controlled and certified grand piano or organ movers. All organs and pianos were to be likewise wrapped the same. Also property would be insured. None of the above were true. No security, no skids and wrapped, no AC at all...temperatures when we were in there were over 100. My organ was moved on hand trucks and placed with my other unwrapped items. There was a fire, much water and smoke damage, mold and mildew. I have pictures of every carton we opened, the mold & mildew damage. I had 15 tons of belongings. I was assured when contracting with them that my property would be insured. None of the other people with things stored was informed of the fire and the only way I knew is that I and friends who were helping me saw all the damage. We were lied to several times about what happened and I finally went to the fire marshal and got a report. I was told that insurance had been filed and when I pushed to talk to the adjuster, I was told that the owner had written it all off and the adjuster said that he wouldn't have to come out and look. When I continued to get no word from the insurance co., the secretary that was handling it quit. I contacted her and she finally admitted that the owner had no insurance. I also discovered that the company not only didn't have insurance but that I had only what my ex-husband who was there when the belongings were packed signed for, minimum sixty cents a pound. My husband did not contract with them, I did. Should they not have asked me what insurance I wanted? Also the owner wanted my stand up zero turn lawn mower and said if I would let him have it I could leave my belongings in there as long as I needed to at no charge. He said this in front of two very reputable wittnesses. This was before the fire. Since no arrangements were made with him regarding insurance, my belongings have been left there months and months past when I would have normally taken them out. I was told by someone who worked there that if I removed my things, there would be no further negotations about damages. He moved into another facility and put all my belongings, non-damaged and damaged all together with all the mold and mildew in a trailer and it's been sitting out closed up in a trailer at 90's to 100 degrees. Now he is wanting past due rent and offering me a thousand dollars and my lawn mower for damages.
What is my legal standing with all circumstances considered?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Did you have any type of written contract with the storage facility that set out the services that they would provide, like palleting and shrink wrapping, as well as any insurance coverage that they provided?

.

Anything in writing about the unit you were receiving being climate controlled?

.

What was the source of the fire that caused the damages?

.

.

thanks