Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My bank took $110 out of my secondary checking account to

Customer Question

My bank took $110 out of my secondary checking account to set up a "levee" for the California State Tax that I was late paying. Coincidentally, I had sent the State the entire amount owed on the same day.
Now the bank is refusing to give the $110 back to me because they have a "legal" right to keep it because they DID have to set up the levee.
Can you help me get my $110 back from the bank?
Oh, to make it even sillier, they took the money from my "small" checking account, which made it overdrawn.
Can you help?
Marianne C.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Marianne: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Can you help?
Marianne C.

Response: If the bank has refused to refund the money, you need to file complaint against the bank with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. This is a relatively new agency, but it has been very successful in going after banks and lenders on behalf of consumers. Click on the link below to file your complaint:
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/