How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel-II Your Own Question
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Practice of law for 20 years
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Samuel-II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased carpeting bedrooms, stairs and hallway. Seams

Customer Question

I purchased carpeting for three bedrooms, stairs and hallway. Seams show. Company refuses to replace the carpeting. Carpeting company is located in LeRoy, MN. I live in Lime Springs, IA. Do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If the work was shabby or not done complete to your full satisfaction, then I suggest you should write the company a letter and tell them if they do not come and replace the carpet and do it correctly with no seams showing, you will have not other option but to bring the matter to court so you can get a full refund. And that you will ask the court to order them to also pay any and all of your legal fees associated with the court action as their refusal to cooperate is the only reason it is in the courts.

Mail that certified with a return receipt requested. Depending on the amount, you may be able to sue in Small Claims Court. You can sue in Iowa since this is where the job was done and they do business in the state of Iowa. The cap on a small claims suit is $5000. If the amount you will sue for is above that, then you will need to go to the next level court - circuit/superior and it is not as easy to sue there.

Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

So it may be possible that if you can live with the seams, you may consider negotiating a discount on the carpet installation.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions