Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
66887675

My fathers house in pa went sale in april..i was told we

Customer Question

My fathers house in pa went for tax sale in april..i was told we have 9 months to redeem the property..where do we go to do this at? How is it done? Do i need an attorney?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 2 years ago.

Only under certain circumstances in Pennsylvania can an owner of property sold at a Sheriff’s Tax Sale may “redeem the [property] at any time within nine months from the date of the acknowledgement of the Sheriff’s Deed …” 53 P.S. § 7293(a). A homeowner may reclaim their property after a Sheriff’s Tax Sale if they act within the nine month redemption period. You would need to go to court and get permission to recover the property by paying all back taxes and the money paid by the winning bidder. I would suggest hiring a local attorney who can help you with the process and to ensure that your property is available for redemption.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its not a gaurantee that he can have an opportunity to redeem his property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has been sick and in february they told hom to pay 3000 to stop tax sale..he paid it and v then they sold it in april...portniff law the office that handles the taxes said it only stopped sheriff sale temporary...i think its really unfair...the county use to handle the taxes..now an attorney does and the fees are ridiculous...

If you pay all back taxes and the money paid by the winning bidder, then it is likely that he would be able to redeem the property. If you believe that the law office handling taxes is being unfair, you could always bring a lawsuit against them as well.