How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118256
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had filed a lawsuit against city gov. my civil rights.

Customer Question

I had filed a lawsuit against city gov. for violating my civil rights. Attorney was handling my case at the time suddenly changed tactics and advised me to settle even though he always said that we will have to go ll the way to court to be able to get
any meaningful damages. After an initial phone conversation when he advised me to settle he disappeared, never answered my emails or phone calls. After 11 months passed, the city now sued me (seems like a retaliation...ongoing suit now.) I now, no longer want
to settle but my case against the city is marked "settled" in the court docs. I have not signed any documents since that attorney never gotten back to me. Now, and after I threatened him with a complaint, he sent me those settlement papers which upon reading
does require me to give up all claims, past and future pertaining to this incident or case. I no longer want to settle. What should I do? I now even have potentially more claims against them, including selective enforcement, ruining my business, only source
of income, my credit rating and loosing my place of residence. What can I do? can I revive the case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you never signed the settlement, you can file a motion to reinstate the suit based on there being no reasonable settlement reached. If your attorney disappeared, you could potentially have a suit against him as well for malpractice. You should get yourself a new attorney though, especially since the city is suing you now in retaliation, because this could be an "anti-slapp" suit, which is a suit where the government is trying to sue to stop you from exercising your rights in another matter and it can also entitle you to damages plus attorney's fees for their conduct.