Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a member of a country club in Boynton Beach that

Customer Question

I am a member of a country club in Boynton Beach that charging me $6700.00 a year in social dues as an equity member-and at the same time charging non equity members of golf and Tennis nothing nada, zero for the same social amenities---Can this be legal???
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: Unfortunately, this is legal. The Club can set its prices and legally discriminate between members and non-members. Nonetheless, it does not make sense to charge members, but then allow non-members to enjoy the same benefits as members without paying for the benefits. The only way the Club can change this policy is for members to "make noise" about this and demand that the non-members be charged for using the amenities and the price for members be reduced now that the non-members are finally paying to use the facilities.