Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

My son asked my friend if he could use s two jet skis. My

Customer Question

My son asked my friend if he could use his two jet skis. My son's friends were out on the jet skis and they collided into each other causing major damanage to both skis. The skis were not insured and my friend wants a check for 10 thousand for bboth skis. Can I take my son's friend to court to pay for the damage. The kid that caused the damage drove the jet ski straight into the other jet ski which was not moving.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if your son's friend caused the damage, then he is liable for the payment of the damage. He is not liable for the costs of the jet skis, he is liable for the cost to repair for the damage and if the damage was minor as you described, then $10,000 sounds high and you need to tell your friend that as well. Your son's friend is liable for the actual cost of the damages to the jet ski and you need to get proof of those costs from your friend. Once you have the proof of those costs, if your son's friend does not pay, then your friend would have to sue for that amount or if you pay that amount to your friend, you can sue your son's friend for that amount.