How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing regarding my family owns a lake cabin and about

Customer Question

I am writing regarding my family owns a lake cabin and about a 1 1/2 years ago a water ipe broke in the cabin and there was water damage. The insurance company was contacted so the brought a company along when they came to look at damage. It has been a nightmare ever since!!! He didn't do the work he was supposed to do and also charged for things he didn't do either! We met with him last summer and told him he is not getting any more money!! My mom is a widow and I am sure he thought he was going to get away with it! Now we get a letter from a law firm that we owe money and have to respond back in 30 days and i have no idea how to write a correct letter back!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the contractor did not do the proper job then he is in breach of contract. You need to write a letter explaining the job that you contracted him to do and list everything that was not done or was not done properly and you need to explain in the letter that his failure to properly complete the work was a breach of contract and if he does not make good on the negligent repairs you would have no choice but to take legal action against him. You should, if possible, get another contractor in to give you an itemized list of what needs to be done and costs of what was not done as well so you can support your claims if you have to go to court.
If they refuse to negotiate, then you would end up having to sue them (or if they sue first or try to put a lien on the property countersue for damages).

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions