How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 26740
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being ripped off by a scam in India..... I have

Customer Question

I am being ripped off by a scam in India..... I have cancelled my cards ... thank you for your concern
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
What is it that you would like to ask about this situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my fault .. I assumed the person was from Telstra helping me solve my computer problems... instead this person from India was only interested in accessing my bank account ... I am much too trusting
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Don't beat up on yourself. A lot of people fall for this scam.
It usually works like this:
You get an unsolicited phone call from someone who claims he's calling from a computer tech company. Generally he will claim that the company is affiliated with Microsoft/Windows or some other important business and tell you that your computer has bugs which they can repair for you. Many of these calls actually originate from overseas, especially India, and the caller may have a heavy accent.
What these folks are looking to do is to is to get remote access and/or to install malware which would allow them to hack into your computer, phish for passwords, get into your accounts and rob you blind.
If the above is what happened to you, you have to do more than just cancel your credit cards/bank accounts and open new ones. You need to be concerned about further identity theft.
Take your computer to a tech you can deal with in person at a local reputable computer center and have him debug your computer. Or, if you're technically savvy, you can post a question in our computer section here on JustAnswer where a verified computer technician can walk you through the debugging. When you are through, change all of your PIN numbers and passwords that you use online.
I assume that when you contacted your credit card carriers, you also asked them to do a chargeback for the fees you paid the fraudulent company. If not, you should do that too.
From here you need to monitor all of your card and bank statements carefully to make sure that there are no unauthorized charges.
Also, if you haven't already done so, you need to report this to the police as you are the victim of a crime.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions