How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid to my car that a dealer told me I needed.

Customer Question

I paid for repairs to my car that a dealer told me I needed. The Honda dealer told me I needed work on my transmission at a price of $2000. The repair they told me I needed and I paid for in no way fixed the car. I stopped payment on my check. Now they have retained a lawyer and have drawn a up a settlement to repay $3000. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. It depends on what you mean by "do I have a case"? You lose on the issue of stopping payment on the check. You're not allowed to do that just because you don't believe they performed the repairs correctly and you could even face criminal charges for theft of services for doing that. However, it is very possible you could win a case if you were you sue them for breach of contract. You would have to hire an expert to look at the vehicle and the repairs performed determine whether those repairs were needed (perhaps in addition to others that are still needed), whether doing that specific repair was reasonable based on the test results if any) and the complaints about the car's performance, etc. If the expert can testify that the repairs were not the correct ones based on the various factors or that the repairs were not performed correctly then you should win a case based on a breach of contract.