Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I purchased a used 2001 Chevy Malibu son. The very next day

Customer Question

I purchased a used 2001 Chevy Malibu for my son. The very next day the tranny starts slipping . they say sold as is , I thought the was a "looked at it , said nothing was wrong " they told us at purchase they warranty the engine and trans for 20 days , but I don't think it was on the papperwork . I don't have it in front of me. Do I have any recourse
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wisconsin, paid 2000 for the car with 111600 miles
Thank you.
I'm sorry to say that Wisconsin's Lemon Law doesn't apply to used cars, so the vehicle is sold as-is. They only have to cover the transmission if they gave you written warranty, which should be in your paperwork, of if they made a specific false statement about the transmission. They can't say they replaced it if they didn't. But they're not required to tell you if there's a problem unless you asked (although they can't try to hide it, like when someone rolls back on odometer). General statements like "It runs well" are non-actionable because it's a matter of opinion.
Start by reviewing the paperwork. That's your best chance at getting the car fixed at their expense.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.