How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a used Jeep Wrangler from a private owner. I had

Customer Question

I purchased a used Jeep Wrangler from a private owner. I had to drive 3 hours to pick it up. Paid cash - received a bill of sale and the title. Since I was driving 3 hours back the owner left the lisence plate on for me to return to him. Once I got home I called to insure the vehicle and drove to the DMV - the seller didn't sign in the correct spot on the title. I made a copy of the title and mailed the original back to him certified mail. He has replied that he's received it and has mailed it back in the postage paid envelope I'd sent. Only its been 2 weeks and now I can't reach him by phone. I had run a DMV check on...nthe vehicle and it comes back clean - it does not show who the owner is though. Also ran a check on the plate again I can't see who the plate owner is but it comes back as being registered to a truck versus the jeep I bought. What now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can provide the vin# ***** lisense plate # ***** all I want is to be able to register the jeep I purchased.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
more info,,,,was purchased in Vero Beach Florida. I live in Bradenton Fl $5700 was purchase price.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us about this matter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What action do we take now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not received the title back in the mail. I am unable to register the jeep. The Tag does not match the vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The person does not answer the phone for almost 2 weeks, no response to text message. Should I drive back to Vero Beach and knock in the door? I tried to run a person search and cannot find his name.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not knock in...knock on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Although that doesn't sound half bad about
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You need to go back to try to locate the previous owner, because they must provide you a proper title that you can use to register the car in your name. If they fail to provide you the proper title, signed in the right place, then they are in breach of the implied common law warranty of merchantability, which states the seller must sell you an item that is fit for its intended purpose (and if you cannot register it because they did not provide proper title it is not fit).
If they cannot be located when you go there in person, then you have a problem and would have to seek to sue the seller in court or try to get the police to pursue the seller for "theft by fraud/deception" for selling you the car and not providing a proper title so you can register it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it work to send him a certified letter to both the address we have on the copy of the title as well as the address we met him at giving him 10 days to produce the title? The if he doesn't report him to the District Attorney in my county as well as the attorney general?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would the attorney generals office help me obtain paperwork to get it registered?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You can start by sending a letter, but the problem is if he is not answering the phone, it is not likely to work. The attorney general will not get involved with a private sale. You would have to report it to the police where he lives for theft by fraud.
If you cannot find him, you would have to file a petition to quiet title, ask the court to serve him by publication and ask the court to order your being declared the owner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you. I guess we're heading to vero. I'm going to leave this open for now. Will reply again if needed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You can respond even after leaving positive feedback and I will continue to work with you, but remember, the experts are not employees of this site and as such get no credit for spending time with customers unless customers leave positive feedback. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.