Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was sold a car by the dealership I work for. I gave them…

Customer Question
I was sold a car...
I was sold a car by the dealership I work for. I gave them my financial information and they told me to pick out a car that I could get it no problem. Once I had the car (and the car I was driving was traded in and gone) they came to me and told me they needed $1500 or the keys back. I told them I did not have $1500 and they told me I had to get it or turn in the car. When I told them I didn't have it they insisted that the deal be rewritten and that I sign permission for them to take $750 out of my next 2 paychecks. Even though I told them this would leave me without rent money they still insisted and I felt that if I wanted to keep my job and not be left without a car to drive I had no choice but to sign the paperwork. It was after I signed the paperwork that I saw that the dealership had provided false information to the bank in order to make my deal happen. They listed my rent as $400 instead of $800 and told the bank my income from my job at the dealership was $2,400 per month but I am only making a minimum wage plus commission. Since I have started working I have averaged around $800 per week bi-weekly. They understated my rent by $4,800 and overstated my income by approximately $8,000 per year. What can I do as it is obvious I could not afford this car if the financing was based on my true situation and now I have been pretty much forced to accept this deal.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 2 days by:
7/31/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what can I specifically answer for you about the sale?
Was this fraud? And my situation is a little unique because the car I was driving before hand belonged to my ex-wife. The only way this would work for us, was if she came in and traded both her personal car AND the car I was driving the very next day (which she did) and also bought a car. The reason I tell you this is, I have seen deals not funded and have to be "unwound" where the customer would return the new car for their trade. However, technically I did not have a trade so if the deal is unwound, I am left without a vehicle.
Fraud where done through intentional misconduct and misrepresentations.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher. Have a nice weekend.
awaiting your rating, thanks.
if can clarify something, of course ask.
Do I still have options even if I've signed all the paperwork? In a way I felt bullied/forced to sign for the car because the only alternative was to turn in the keys to the vehicle and be without a car....?
You can negotiate, pursue a BBB/AG complaint, have a lawyer get involved and even sue to the extent they misled you and you relied on it, or if they breached any terms of the contract. Often threat of such pressure leads to compromise as they seek to avoid legal fees/expense. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer as excellent at this time. thank you.