How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 39164
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got eyelash extensions about a month ago. I expressed several

Customer Question

I got eyelash extensions about a month ago. I expressed several times that they hurt and we're very irritable. The technician said it was normal but if I continued to have problems to call her and let her know. I contacted her several times and left her a voice mail saying they were uncomfortable and painful and needed them taken out. When she finally returned my call she to told me she was too busy and to go to another eyelash extension place to remove them. I texted her asking which salon I should go to but no answer. They were irritating my eyes very badly so I book an appointment at another salon. The solution they used could not take the lashes off and the technician said that the person who put my lashes on did them too close together and used too much glue. Normally the solution would take the eyelashes off within 15 minutes and after an hour of the solution in my eyes they would not come off. My eyes were burning and my eye lashes had melted completely off. I called the original eye lash technician again explaining that it was an emergency and I needed her to call me back because I was having an allergic reaction. I have not heard from her and my I still have eye lashes stuck in one eye which had made my eye swollen. On my other eye the eyes are completely melted off. I was told that no harm would be done to my eye lashes when I initially put them on and now I'm mortified and in severe pain from this procedure. I need advice in what I can do now to hold the technician responsible for her negligence.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Hello, In which State jurisdiction is the technician located?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thanks. 1. I assume that the technician is a licensed cosmetologist or similar. 2. You can leave a message or send a letter to the technician stating that: "I would like to resolve this amicably, but if you refuse to cooperate, I will have no choice but to file a complaint with the Division of Professions and Occupations." I'm choosing my words very carefully, here, because it's really easy to cross the line between a lawful request to negotiate and criminal extortion/blackmail. So, you modify the language provided at your peril. 3. You can file a complaint with the Colorado Division of Professions and Occupations, at this link. The upside of this is that the tech may lose her license. The downside is that the tech may lose her earning capacity, and that may negatively effect your ability to collect a judgment against here. 4. You can contact a personal injury (PI) lawyer and see if he/she will take your case on contingency (you pay attorney's fees only if you win). Most people think this is a rip off, because the typical PI lawyer will get at least 33% of whatever is recovered. However, most people don't realize that without a PI lawyer, the chances of recovering anything is very low. 5. You can sue the technician in small claims court. However, you can only recover a maximum of $7,500. Also, proving "pain and suffering," which is what personal injury lawyers do for a living, is really difficult, and in small claims court, you have about 5 minutes in which to do this. Whereas in regular District Court, the prove could require a half day of testimony -- or more. But, if you don't want to go the PI lawyer route, then small claims is an option, at least to recover your out-of-pocket costs (including any medical expenses -- whether or not reimbursed by insurance; and lost wages, if any). I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using!