Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I'm in Colorado and I tried to return a leased vehicle 5 days

Customer Question

I'm in Colorado and I tried to return a leased vehicle 5 days after singing the lease due to a back problem being aggravated by the drivers seat. The dealership is still giving me the run around and the finance company claims that they don't have the paper work. I need to return the vehicle and I've told the dealership that i'm willing to pay daily rental charges, or mileage or both, but they just tell me that they can't work with me.
It is now day 13 since I signed the lease, is there anything I can do, would a law suit make any difference?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Is there some defect with the vehicle or is it something in the way the seat is made that aggravates your back condition?
.
Is there anything in the written lease that states you can cancel the contract within some period of time?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for the response. There is something in the seat that pushes my back out of place, but I think it's designed to be lumbar support. I don't think there is anything defective with the way the seat was made. I'm not aware of anything in the contract that references the cancelation period.Thanks,
David Walters
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you for that information..
.
Unfortunately, in a vehicle sale or lease situation, once the contract is signed, it is legally binding and can only be rescinded if there is something specific in the contract that allows it.
.
If there is a defect, then the manufacturer has a legal duty to make repairs under a warranty claim, but even then, there is no duty to rescind the purchase or lease contract, just make repairs.
.
With that said, I am afraid that if there is no right of rescission in the contract, then none exists or is implied by law..
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
thanks