How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 34486
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We had a new furnace put in. We stupidly paid job.

Customer Question

We had a new furnace put in. We stupidly paid for the job. The plumber didn't complete the job. We have no contract, only the receipt for full payment. Does small claims court help with this? What do you suggest we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Even without a written contract you still have an enforceable agreement. The plumber is still required to complete the job for which has paid in a competent workmanlike manner.
You can either hire someone new to finish the work and sue the original plumber for the cost or, if you can wait, sue the original plumber without hiring someone else.
If the damages do not exceed $5000 for the city or $3000 outside the city you can sue in small claims court without the necessity of retaining a lawyer.
Best regards.