Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My landlord has told me there are no dogs allowed in our unit

Customer Question

My landlord has told me there are no dogs allowed in our unit when I moved in. However, after moving in I have found out that she allows another tenant to have a dog. What kind of case do I have? Is this a form of discrimination? What kind of lawyer do I need to speak with?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello
You may elect to proceed with a landlord tenant lawyer. It is not discrimination, but allowing another to have a pet, may give ground for a claim of waiver. Practically, consider having a pet and then contesting a complaint, should landlord raise one
Let me know if that is fast and acceptable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does this mean?
two options. get a pet, and see if landlord complains. If does, claim waiver, which means landlord waived no pets by allowing pets in another unit.
or raise the issue with landlord directly before bringing a pet in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I use this to get out of my lease?
Only if landlord continues to not allow it. You need to give landlord a chance to change his mind.
Good luck. Please let me know if the answer is acceptable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay so if they don't allow me to have a dog but allow the other person to have a dog, I can legally ask her to let me out of my lease? Can I sue?
Right. I do not see basis for a lawsuit. No discrimination. You would move on to another place which will accomodate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. But I still don't understand how this is not discrimination? I have an email from her where she is VERY loud about no pets allowed in the building. She made a huge argument about it (which I have on record) because she thought I was going to bring my old dog. How is allowing one person to have a dog and not another not a form of discrimination?
discrimination has to be on basis of race, gender, age, nationality or disability
Landlord technically does not have to offer equal terms and benefits to all tenants alike.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The neighborhood I am in is all Armenian. The women who has the dog is her friend and they are both Armenian. I am not Armenian.
If nationality is basis for disparate treatment you may proceed with a claim.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.