How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i sue a web company misrepresentation, i invested

Customer Question

Can i sue a web company for a misrepresentation, i invested over $20,000, the company is based in Arizona. If i can sue how much can i recover, and how much will it cost me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
It is possible to sue a defendant for fraud (intentional misrepresentation of a material fact, causing the plaintiff to reasonably rely on the statement to their detriment).It is possible to sue them yourself, without hiring a lawyer, the cost for doing so is relatively inexpensive, but you will have to pay filing fees, and you will also have to pay for a process server to actually file and serve the documents on the defendant).You can arguably file a claim in New York (claim that the defendant is engaged in business in the state of New York and therefore has submitted to personal jurisdiction of the court so that you can sue in that state, but it is going to be safer to sue in the state where the company is organized (that way any judgment you get will be immune from a defense of personal jurisdiction, and as soon as you get the judgment you can enforce it (if you were to sue in New York, you would have to take the judgment to Arizona and record it as a "foreign state judgment" in any event).Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.