How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel-II Your Own Question
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Practice of law for 20 years
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Samuel-II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son purchased a vehicle when he was a minor 5 1/2 months

Customer Question

My son purchased a vehicle when he was a minor 5 1/2 months ago. After bringing the car home from the dealership and bringing it to our mecanic to have it looked over we found out that the car was out if oil, it was leakibg from the valve cover gasket, fkex pipe on exhaust needed replacement, bad tie rod, and white smoke was coming frim exhaust. The car was brought back to the dealership and they promised to make the repairs. We trusted them to do the right thing. There was one red flag since the dealership passed the insoection on a vehicke with a bad tie rod. But we figured it was an oversight. My son drives his car infrequently and has only driven 1,000 miles since purchasing the vehicle and gad only driven local. We niticed last week the white exhaust had returned. I also noticed oil at the valve cover gasket that was already replaced. The car was brought back to my mechanic who diagnosed the car with a bad head gasket. The worse part of the news was that my mechanic said it was a known problem that was covered up by replacing one spark plug to trick the misfire code and bar none was added to temporarily fix the problem. My me hanic stated I should persue it in coyrt since my son entered a contract while he was a minor. Is this true? And does this still apply if my son just turned 18.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. I am sorry to hear of this matter, unfortunately, while the contract could have been voided while your son was a minor, it cannot now be voided as an adult.However, I suggest that you could talk to the dealer and tell them you feel as though your minor son was taken advantage of and that the car is not worth what he paid for it. Give estimates on what it will cost to repair it and asked them to help cover the cost. Actually, ask them to pay for it. And then see if you can come to some sort of compromise. I suggest that if you are so inclined you can bring the matter to a small claims court and try to re coup some of the expense of repairs, citing the fact that your son was a minor, not experienced at buying cars and the dealership took advantage and fraudulently tried to hide the problem with the car. And you can use your mechanic as a witness to that.
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you