Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

I am in Columbus Texas-A small town about 100 miles west of

Customer Question

I am in Columbus Texas-A small town about 100 miles west of Houston. I own a 2007 GMC Denali that I was having some minor transmission issues--I took it to three different shops that all agreed that it was the "TCM"--Transmission Control Module--which is the comp. inside the transmission. I took the SUV into a transmission shop in Columbus tx. and was told it would cost between $ 500.00 and $ 600.00 to have the car repaired. I did give them the ok to repair it at that cost. During the course of the last month I contacted the shop several time to see if my car was ready and they made up one thing after another--waiting for the part--wrong part came in and had to repair--always one reason or another why the car was not ready. Now they called last Tuesday 06-30-15 and told me the car was ready--I ask them to e-mail me a copy of the Invoice and they could only fax as it is a small two man shop---I have never signed anything or authorized the work they said they performened. They sent me an Invoice for $ 3,400.00 and says they re-built the entire transmission of which I did not authorize. The invoice they sent to me shows nothing itemized--and no warranty on any of the work done. I need to know what I need to do to be able to go and get my car. What is my legal recourse against a mechanic trying to scam me out of this kind of money of which I do not have to give them anyway--I would have never authorized that kind of a repair and I have not signed any type of authorization and they have now had the car for well over a month--what is my recourse---??
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
What authorization, if any did you provide them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I told them they could repair and replace the "TCM"--inside the transmission--not re-build the entire transmission--and that was done verbally--No work order or authorization for any type of service was signed to allow them to do any thing other than what was told to them when the car was dropped off
Thank you for your follow-up.
It appears that this can be seen as a deceptive practice. As such your recourse is to contact the Texas Attorney General's office and speak with their consumer protection division. With this division you can file for a formal grievance and a claim for this deceptive work. Concurrently you can also file suit against them civilly for fraud and breach of promise, and file to have the courts order them to transfer the vehicle back over to you.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.