How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6842
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served a summons from a Debt Collection agency: a limited

Customer Question

I was served a summons from a Debt Collection agency: a limited civil case for $2182.11 on June 6th.
I called the debt collection agency - they do not want to settle.
My 30 days to respond to court is today. JUly 6th.
Can I send a certified letter - stamped today - from an inexpensive attorney?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
If served with summons, it has to be from a lawyer.You therefore need to file an answer responding to the complaint and do so in court.You want it done in person in court or otherwise through a lawyer.If due today, should consider asking the lawyer for extension of time to respond to is a good resource. Kindly let me know if helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if I don't respond today, what will happen?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Generally, nothing. The default can be asked for, but courts will vacate a default or not enter one where defendant answers soon after the due date. Courts want cases decided on the merits, especially if you seek an extension in writing showing good faith.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if the answer is helpful.