Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If a judgment is vacated does that mean it never existed and…

Customer Question
If a judgment is vacated...
If a judgment is vacated does that mean it never existed and how does that effect the statue of limitations
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
7/3/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
If a judgment is vacated it means that it is no longer valid. If the judgment was issued several months before it was vacated, then it may still show up in the public records until the public records are updated and show that the judgment is now vacated. However, if there is ever an issue, you can use the order vacating the judgment as proof that the original judgment is no longer valid. Depending who, when, how, and in what context the judgment was vacated, the statute of limitations may or may not have any bearing on the case. Need more information on this front to answer.
what information do you need?
Who vacated the judgment, the trial court or the appeals court? Why was the judgment vacated? What type of claim is involved? How does your statute of limitations issue relate to the vacated judgment?