Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I hired a limo company to provide a shuttle service wedding…

Customer Question
I hired a limo company...
I hired a limo company to provide a shuttle service for a wedding to shuttle wedding guests to/from a club house to the wedding ceremony site (about 1 mile round trip). The limo company provided a 26 passenger van for the shuttle service. The day after providing the shuttle service, the limo company informed me that an emergency window blew out as the van was returning from the event. They claim that a wedding guest released the emergency window release, and the window blew out causing $1,000 in damages. The limo company says that their insurance company will not cover the cost, and they are looking to me to pay for the damage. Here is the part in the terms and conditions related to damages:
"I understand and agree to the length and usage along with any overage charges and further agree to pay for any and all damages my party may cause during the rental period".
I did not rent the van, I hired the limo company to provide a shuttle service. Am I liable for damage to a window they blew out because one of the wedding guest may have pulled the emergency window lever?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/29/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
is there anything about this charge in the contract?
There are only terms and conditions that lists rules (no alcohol under 21, No smoking, $150 clean up fee for excessive litter, etc). At the end of the terms and conditions there is a section called "Concerned Obligations" That reads "I understand and agree to the length and usage along with any overage charges and further agree to pay for any and all damages my party may cause during the rental periods".The limo company claims that their insurance company refuses to pay, and the cost of damage is my responsibility because it was caused by someone that attended the wedding that pulled the emergency window release.
If I had rented the van, I could understand responsibility, but I hired the company to provide a service and would think they should be responsible for insuring the windows are secure.
If they do not check the windows, how would anyone know that it was someone in my party that tripped the lever, and not a previous group serviced by the limo company?
I do not see basis for a claim. They should have timely inspected. They should have also made this a clear penalty in contract. They did neither here.
Infolawyer, Lawyer