Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been scammed by American cash awards. How can I get…

Customer Question
I have been scammed by...
I have been scammed by American cash awards. How can I get help? I have fallen for their trap and have sent over 15,000.00 is there any way I recoup this money?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/28/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. It is very hard to recover money from scammers, especially ones like this who have a huge operation. The last I heard they were running the scam from another country, I think it was Jamaica, or at least using people with Jamaican accents. The first thing to do is report the scam to the local police, the FBI, and to www.ic3.gov. Occasionally they manage to catch someone doing this and then you can be included in the court's order of restitution.
If you wire transferred money to them sometimes the bank can reverse the wire transfer, but they usually have you send the money via MoneyGram/Western Union, Green Dot Card, Money Pak, or some other method where it can't be reversed.