Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son died in Oct,2014, he had no will and no children, I…

Customer Question
My son died in Oct,2014...
My son died in Oct,2014, he had no will and no children, I went to Register of will and was made executor of his estate, I ran the ad for 6 mths. and had his mail transferred to my address. Nothing came up from Register of wills. I found a lien on the car title and called Credit Acceptance Corp to get it cleared since I found no evidence among my son's paperwork concerning the car. I faxed them his death certificate and proof that I was handling his affairs. I received a call back and was told $6,000 more was owed on the car, I asked why I hadn't received any bills from them in 6mths. and I was told after 6mths. nothing would be paid. I asked to speak to the manager and was told he wasn't available. I told him they had my number and to please have the manager call me, its been 2 weeks and no word from them.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
My condolences to you on your loss. If I may ask, what specifically can I answer for you? What is your question?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
My apologies but I do not communicate via phone. If you wish I opt out and see if someone else can assist you or I can draft a response via text. Please advise.
I'd like to know what I should do next to get the title cleared.
you can draft a text.
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Are you seeking to pay off the car or to return it to the lender and resolve the loan?
Thank you.
As I said previously I was told by the Register of wills that anything that came through after the 6 mths. would not be paid. Credit Acceptance has not given me any proof at all. No payment books were found, no on-line payments made .
Thank you for your follow up.
Yes, I understand what you were told. However, that would not negate the lien they have on the car or their right to repossess the vehicle.
You are not liable for the payment of the balance, but you do have to return the car to the lien holder.
Best regards.
Don't they have to give me some kind of proof. I'm only going by their word.
The lienholder would be shown on the title. That is the proof. Certainly, if they are not shown on title you will not return the car to them.
Best regards.
they are not sending me any payment records or anything of that nature to prove money is owed.
Well, you can not get clear title without a release from the lien holder and if they do not do anything then you can sue them for a release and then they will need to prove they hold an unreleased lien or waive their interest.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?
Loren, Lawyer