How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116704
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an automotive collector, I recently purchased a property

Customer Question

I am an automotive collector, I recently purchased a property in West Virginia to build a storage facility and workshop for my automotive collection. I moved the vehicles to the property while I was waiting for the approval of the building permit. In the meantime a representative from the county and the State came by and issued citations stating that I was operating a salvage business. Is there a law in west Virginia that allows a collector to have unregistered vehicles on their property. These are show vehicles that I trailer to events. I have no plans on registering these vehicles because they will never be driven on the street.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Only motor vehicles driven upon the roads in WV are required to be registered. If these vehicles are not being driven on the roads and are show vehicles, they do not require registration. It is not against the law to have unregistered vehicles on your private property, as they are not being driven on the roads. It is not up to the inspector to make the determination on the scene, it is up to their discretion, but it is up to the Courts to decide. So you need to plead not guilty and you need to go to court with your proof that the cars on your land are all show vehicles and not salvage vehicles and that they do not require registration because you do not drive them on any roads. If you prove that in the court, they will dismiss the charges.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions