Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If an item is $60.00 and its on sale 50%off and 2 items were…

Customer Question
if an item is $60.00...
if an item is $60.00 and its on sale 50%off and 2 items were taken by stealing can the store charge you with the original price which would be over $100.00 or should you get charge with $60.00
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/23/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
In a shoplifting case, the prosecutor will charge the defendant with the normal retail value of the items if the store reports that as the value of any items taken. The Mass statutes on shoplifting all refer to the "retail value" as the measure of value for any items taken. (Mass General Laws Section 30A of chapter 266)
.
However, a good criminal defense attorney will typically be able to negotiate a penalty based on the sale price that was offered to the public as the value of the items, not the normal retail price.
.
.
thanks