Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What is the next step taken after I have mailed a written…

Customer Question
what is the next step...
what is the next step taken after I have mailed a written response about the Summons?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/23/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Once you have filed your answer to the complaint, you can then start looking into dispute resolution (your negotiations/mediation, etc.).You can also issue "written discovery" to the plaintiff - usually a "request for production of documents" - this is a formal written request to the other party asking them to produce all documents that they are basing their complaint on (so this would be a copy of your card holder's agreement, and billing information). You can review this paperwork and ensure that the information is accurate and appropriate - if there are issues you can use this in defense at trial, if they are accurate, this can help in negotiating a resolution.(If the debt is accurate, generally a mediated or negotiated resolution is preferable to going to trial - it will keep your costs down (most credit card debts have an "attorney's fees clause" - so you will end up owing them not only the amount of debt that they prove, but also their attorney's fees and costs that they incur in getting their judgment)- but you will get more time if you drag it out).If you have a lot of debt (including this one), you may want to consider bankruptcy protection - in which case I definitely recommend hiring a bankruptcy attorney (it is possible to file for bankruptcy on your own, but you will maximize your post-bankruptcy financial position and ensure that you don't have any complications by having a lawyer represent you).