How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116808
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My I bought a car from from someone, and when i tried to go

Customer Question

My I bought a car from from someone, and when i tried to go register it and get a tag they stated that the car has a abandonment warrant on it. And i cannot get it registered until its taken off. I tried locating the person i bought the car from but they a now in jail. But from my understanding the reason form the warrant is because the repairs were not paid for prior to me purchasing the car. How do i go about handling this situation? After all its not my bill nor fault.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid your options are limited in this type of situation. First, if the seller sold you a car that you cannot register, this is a violation of the common law warranty of merchantability and breach of contract even in an as is used car sale and the seller either has to pay to clear the title or refund your money. So you have a right to return the car to the seller and demand a refund of your money. Second, you can pay the amount due to clear the warrant and sue the seller for the money it cost you to clear the warrant.
Those are your legal options on this type of warrant I am afraid.