How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get a refund on my new glasses if I am not satisfied

Customer Question

Can I get a refund on my new glasses if I am not satisfied with them after ten days? At the moment they are blurry after a distance of about 6-8 meters. I have been wearing glasses for about 25 years now, and never had to take 10 days to readjust to new lenses as has been explained to me by the shop staff where I bought them.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer that I will provide you with is likely not favorable so I ask that you do not blame the proverbial messenger. Generally speaking if this item was specifically crafted for you (the lens were cut to the shape of the frame, installed, and modified), it cannot be returned unless the seller has a return policy. There is no law in place that contracts in general have a refund policy, in fact most are non-refundable unless the state carves out a special exception. But you have options. You can demand that the party who created this lens and glasses make changes and make it fit your needs. Likewise you can contact the seller, claim that the items are non-conforming, and seek a replacement. You do have a duty to permit the other party to mitigate damages and fix the frames. And if they are still not proper, you can then claim 'breach of contract' and demand a return of your funds. Hope that helps! Sincerely, ***** *****

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions