How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about a recent car purchase from a

Customer Question

hello, I have a question about a recent car purchase from a now estranged ex-boyfriend I did. I have canceled check, title and bill of sell... but no car. I haven't went to DMV to transfer it completely however, its signed on the title mine and his name (me the buyer & him seller). I came home from work, found a note and all his stuff gone. I can only go to his work tomorrow to find the car. Question: Do I have the right to tow it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, I live in California.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my email is***@******.***. I don't think it took when it asked me my email.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have title signed and proof of purchase, what he has done is committed a theft and you can call the police and have him arrested for auto theft, even if it is not registered at DMV. You can also take the car and tow it if you can do so without causing a disturbance of the peace when doing so.
It is your car, you have a right to take the car back. You would have to give him any of his property that it in the car when you retrieve it back, but it is your car and you have a right to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correction: not a canceled check, rather the carbon copy of the written check I gave him. Okay that's good to know. One thing I wouldn't know how much of a disturbance of the peace it would be at his job. Would I need the sheriffs there?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Carbon copy is just as good. You have the signed title, that is what you need.
Any disturbance, if he comes out to try to stop you and any argument ensues, you could not take the car, you can get the sheriff there with you though, since you have proof you own it and they will make him let you take the car.