How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid in 3600.00 per month directly after my divorce

Customer Question

I paid in 3600.00 per month directly after my divorce for two years, 2009 and 2010. I was required to pay 1550.00 my ex and I continued to live together. I used his credit card for food and gas and other incidentals. He then paid the balance on the card. The divorce specifies he pay all expenses required to reside at our address after the 1550.00. He then also signed another agreement to forgive any owed money before June 2012. Does the extra money I paid in count toward the 1550.00 in total?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Does what extra money you paid count towards the 1550? Are you talking about the money you already paid him in 2009 and 2010, that was paid in full to him already? If you are then those payments would not be anything you would get credit for now. Had you owed him money that you had not paid before 2012, then his forgiveness would have wiped out whatever you owed him before 2012, but if you already paid that money it is not credited towards the 1550.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What. Mean is that after out divorce we have a residence that is now on the market when it sells i no longer have to pay him 1550.00 so if the total time is x many years at 1550 a month i owe him x times 1550.00. If for two years i paid him 3600.00 per month is the surplus in that payment deducable from the total of 1550.00 time x.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

No, the additional money you paid would not be deductible from the 1550 times the number of months I am afraid unless it is stated you would get credit in your agreement. It is not automatically credited to you.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions