Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Complicated questionSigned up real estate training

Customer Question
Complicated question Signed up for a...
Complicated question
Signed up for a real estate training program...Paid 30,000.00
Company has not delivered material that was promised
We have learned that others who attended and left seminar where we were told that once we left the discount packages being sold were no longer in existence.
We found out from a person that left that turned down the offer was contacted by the company and offered a much better product for a greatly reduced price... we were again contacted by this company in the notion to "check in" with us and see how we were doing...That call was a high pressure sales person wanting us to spend 20,000.00 to upgrade our 30,000 dollar package. what was being offered was the same package our friend was getting who had not stayed at seminar but was contacted later so all of what we had bought for 30,000 and what was being offered for us at this 20,000.00 more sales man she received for 14000.00
We have been trying to get a refund and have been asking for break down of prices fort various products included in the package we purchased. they have been unable to provide any but have come up with a random number of 14995.00 refund with a waiver to sign that releases them from any form of further contact. We have another friend that paid the same amount as us 30000. who was contacted and sworn at as she turned down the 20,000.00 package and she has been randomly offered 109995.00 refund with the same waiver to be signed. Another of the attendees who paid the 30000.00 for the package also [urchased the 20,000.00 offer for 14000.0 not the 20000.00 that was offered to the rest of us.
Want anything we can feet back but reluctant to sign the waiver...
Company based in Utah and we are canadian
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/19/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
LawTalk, Lawyer
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. How much money have you already paid them of the $30,000 you initially agreed to?
2. If they provide the $14,995 waiver of cost to you, what do you get for your $15,005 that you actually will pay?
3. Does the waiver state that you are releasing then from any further "contact" or "contract?
4. Does the waiver state anything about a release of all claims for a release of all further liability?
5. When did you attend the seminar and sign a contract?
6. Are you presently in the US or in Canada?
Doug
Hi doug
I am in Canada but the company is us based.
The initial weekend was a free seminar to get access to buying/selling real estate in us. that was a half day seminar which ended in us spending 2479.00 to proceed to the next level a 3 day weekend as well as 1352.61 to access info on investing in tax lien receipts..That was May 9 2015...The 3 day seminar was May 17 weekend and that purchase came with the promise of being able to successfully do real estate in the us or Canada.We were a smaller group attending that weekend as many walked away from the free seminar! The last day of the workshop was an absolute push to purchase more training in the form of the diamond package 30,000(which we bought into) the platinum pkg for 24,997 or the gold pkg for 18,997.00 We were all told and sold the packages which offered various more training and a 3 day summit in vegas whereby there would be all of the purchasers and buyers and legal and accounting advice and houses ready for purchase to flip immediately to buyers present.
We purchased the diamond package...Within a week were called by a representative who supposedly was just checking in to see how we were doing.
He very carefully collected information from us that made him realize that we had fabulous credit rating.
He then proceeded to offer yet another pkg we could purchase at an additional 20,000.00 which would provide coaching weekly and a much upgraded software pkg etc. He wanted this put on credit card immediately. We took a night to think and decided against this pkg.
in the meantime, i made contact with one of the people we met at the 3 day seminar who had walked away from the deals being offered there only to find that she had received a phone call from this company offering her a package better than the one we had paid 30,000. for and she paid 14000.we then contacted the company to try and get all that she had received on our plan...There has been conflicting info and they want us to give names etc and pretty much say we are making all up.
Have been communicating with several others in our group who had purchased the 30,000.00 plan all with different versions of the same... NO one from the company can explain how much actual components are worth.
With the refund we are being offered we get to keep the learnig materials and one boots on the ground training w/e which we did... We are forbidden too go to Vegas! nor any promised assistance from this company
Others are being offered 110000.00 in refund even though she paid and received the same pkg... So no rhyme nor reason to refunds either.
We have touched the very basics of the training we were promised as a diamond member.
During the training sessions it was suggested that we do not mingle with classmates!
We were told that the boots on the ground was worth 10,000.00 we had one and our pkg was for unlimited boots on the ground. We were told that the buying summit would cost us 11,000.00 which was included in our pkg. We were supposed to get the diamond tour but not now!! As you can see this does not add up! We are not getting at least 20,000.00 worth of training!! That contract for 29997.00 was signed May 17.
Yes to questions 4 and 5 but no to the contact
I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.
Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.
I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.
Doug
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your post. A different professional here.
I have reviewed the correspondence and the information provided. I am, however, unclear as to your question. What, ideally, do you wish to accomplish? Please advise!