Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a car in california where the dealer required i sign…

Customer Question
I bought a car in...
I bought a car in california where the dealer required i sign a wavier for 36 hours cooling off period. I found out they charged me way too much money for the car. (over $3600) more. Can I get out of it?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/19/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Is this a new or used car?
Are you sure the waiver was for a cooling off period and not for the PURCHASE of a cancellation option.
Thank you.
It was a new car
It was for the 36 hour cooling off period. They said I must sign it to get the zero percent financing of the car. I look in my papers but there was no copy of what I signed. Was that legal?
Thank for the additional information. While certain transactions do have a "cooling off" period, new car purchases are not entitled to such rights unless the return is specifically allowed in the contract. In other words, you never had a 3 day cooling off period to waive.
Courts will not, as a general rule, get involved in issues of fair price where the parties negotiated an arms length deal and there was no blatant consumer fraud.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service?