CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

Chase bank cashed several checks using my account number but

Customer Question

Chase bank cashed several checks using my account number but different person on check different address and now making me wait while not clearing other items
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
With banking problems such as this it is always best to initiate your dispute with the bank. While it is time consuming and frustrating, make sure that you follow up your phone calls, or in person conversations with "confirmation letters" (see my note on this below) as this will create a written record of your communications that can be helpful if there are future problems, or if you need to escalate the dispute.
If your bank refuses to settle the dispute with you, there are a number of state and federal agencies that oversee banks that you can file complaints with, see: https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/bank for a list with contact information.
You can also sue the bank for breach of contract (the account holder agreement) and negligence in small claims court, see: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm, where you can sue for up to $10,000.00 in damages.
Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.