Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am trying to determine an invasion of privacy by Direct TV.

Customer Question
There base office is in...
I am trying to determine an invasion of privacy by Direct TV. There base office is in Colorado I live in Ohio. What can I do to pursue this. Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me more about what program is broadcasting your name, why, etc, and whether or not what they are saying is true, etc?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
I have several people in neighborhood contacting Direct TV Satellite. I can hear info or things I have said over the air waves. I can not track down the station since the house I live in is on Time Warner. They did broadcast private info over the air waves yesterday on several occasions. No permission has been granted and they have been using voice similar to mine. I know the local media has backed off somewhat but the Satellite does concern me. In Ohio there are tort law protecting people for an invasion of privacy I do not know If Colorado does not. If need be I can call Direct TV's HQ and talk to someone but i do not know if they are aware if it is a station unique to them.
Thank you.
Okay, are you using that programs on the air, that air via Direct TV channels:
1) Use recordings of your voice?
2) Or, slander you with false things stated about you?
Its the Neighbors house that its coming from. I have been recording the local channels on Time Warner of the news that is just using my first name combined with several other names that have been associated with me in the past. The channel they are playing on Direct TV is using a voice copy of mine and have stated several things which have been slanderous. They have also stated several things that are used to tear me down mentally. Early this morning the Neighbors TV Broadcasted Brent is a piece of shit. then followed by Mr. Gray is a Piece shit and then using my middle name Kelly is a piece of shit. I am upset at the media so i have been avoiding talking to them. Like I said if i need to I will contact Direct TV Headquarters I prefer not to.
Thank you.
dTo sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.
So here, depending on what exactly happened or is happening, there may be a claim for:
DEFAMATION
INVASION OF PRIVACY - Appropriation of Name or Likeness,
INVASION OF PRIVACY - False Light
Whom to Sue
However, Direct TV is unlikely to be liable here. All this company does is provide the channels airing - they are the provider. It is the show - the actual show on which these questionable names/terms are being used - which is liable. Not Direct TV. And/or, the HOA, if they are somehow involved.
So someone in your situation wants to take issue with the SHOWS that are being broadcasted and not the provider (Direct TV), and/or the HOA.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.