Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have been sent a packet containing multi page form to

Customer Question

I have been sent a packet containing multi page form to answer a hundred questions, regarding my possessions, about $7,000 Judgement that American Express as on me personally and the law firm Zwicker & Associates appears to be a large debt collector as
they have offices in every state. It says Rule 621(a) Texas Rules of Civil Procedure that I am requested to produce "Not Required" So do I really have to comply??? I'm 74 and controlled 65 houses on a lease option acquired late 1999 - 2002, and as I could
see a storm on the horizon in 2005 I got all the renters qualified for a mortgage and Country Wide was the only one flexible enough to work with but I had to carry a note for my profit not cash out and of course it all crashed in 2008 &9. So I am down to living
on my SS $1,235/mo. and drive an 1999 Chrysler with 330,000 miles on it. Then my residence a 1/2 a duplex on a reverse Mgt. was vandalized and they took my blanket and filled it and two duffle bags and all my shoes and boot except the ones I had on and every
thing else use full, I have a police report on this. Then shortly after that my storage shed was seized and there went all my tools and every thing else. I had one house left that I was carrying the note on and have been trying to sell for 3 yrs , so finally
discounted it before it went vacant and netted $9,000 and by the time I paid some essentials like insurance and public service I had $3,000 and blew it on a small vacation and am back to SS @$1,235/ mo. It does not say we represent AmEx it, It does have a
headed like it was a district court case, but I could produce one of those also, My guess is they are just bottom feeders and send out hundreds of these and get 3% back just like the buyers of bad paper do then try to intimidate me in to making payments. What
do you think??
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You are not required to produce without a court order. If you choose not to answer these debtor interrogatories, the next thing they will do is serve you with a subpoena for a debtor's examination where you have to appear in court to answer these questions.
Basically, what you describe above is that the creditor who has the judgment has a paper debt and that you are judgment proof because you have nothing that they can collect from. If you ignore them then they can eventually go to court and file for a debtors examination if they find you own property they can seize and collect from. However, if you provide them the information showing you have no assets they could legally collect from, then most times they will simply go way and no longer bother you with this matter. That choice is your choice to make, but either way if your assets are as you describe, there is nothing you have they could seize and collect from.