Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a new refrigerator that the manufactur has sent out…

Customer Question
I have a new refrigerator...
I have a new refrigerator that the manufactur has sent out a repairman four times to fix since last Dec and is still not fixed and they will not replace or refund my money. I have one week left of manufacture warranty and they said I will be liable for charges after the warranty expires. I need to know what I can do leagaly?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/13/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to inform them in writing that they have failed to properly fix or replace the product during the warranty and as such they are in breach of their warranty as well as in violation of the Manguson Moss Warranty Act (federal law). Tell them that if they refuse to replace the defective unit, you will have to file a complaint with your Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit for breach of warranty.
In your letter list the dates of repair attempts and tell them it is obvious their product is defective.
If they refuse to resolve this with you, your first step is filing a complaint with the Attorney General. If they cannot resolve the claim, then your final recourse is you would have to sue the manufacturer for breach of warranty and also under product liability law for defective design or manufacture and seek damages in the amount of the cost of the refrigerator.
I need to send a letter or will an email suffice? THis is a GE product and not able to find an address to send it to for consumer realtions. Also if I have to file a complaint with the Attorney General is that in my state or how does that process work?
Thank you for your reply.
An email is fine. That is the contact information they provide. Send an email and call again as well and tell them what I said above.
Here is the KS Consumer Complaint page: https://ag.ks.gov/about-the-office/contact-us/file-a-complaint
You file the complaint. Under the Manguson Moss Warranty At they try to mediate a resolution, which could take a few months. If they cannot do so they will let you know and then you would have to go to court to sue for the breach of warranty and product liability.