How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a chapter 7 discharge in 2012. After the 341 and waiting

Customer Question

I had a chapter 7 discharge in 2012. After the 341 and waiting period there were no creditors that objected to the filing so the case closed. 2 or 3 months later I was served papers regarding an Item included in the discharge. The filed with th e courts and I have been paying them. On my most recent credit report it states that the item was included in my chapter 7. Can I stop paying this creditor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
You need to go off of the paperwork found in the bankruptcy paperwork and any settlement agreement that you reached with the creditor.
The information found in your credit report is not an official record, and cannot be relied upon for this purpose (it is simply a reporting by independent 3rd party reporting bureaus and is not an official record).
Unless you have received either a discharge as to this debt from the bankruptcy court, or received a release or settlement from the creditor directly, you need to continue making payments as agreed upon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This response does not pertain to the question in that I need to know if I must pay a creditor that sued me 2 months after my discharge. I was not satisfied witth the response. Thank-you very much. Do not debit my credit card.