Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I'm in Oregon. Want to take a car dealership to small claims…

Customer Question
I'm in Oregon. Want to...
I'm in Oregon. Want to take a car dealership to small claims for selling me a car with mechanical defects. Car does not run because the transmission died in weeks. Signed an agreement saying disputes would be settled in binding arbitration. Can I still take the owner to small claims court to pay for the $4500 transmission needed repairs I can't afford to pay? Can I also ask for other damages for emotional stress, no transportation now other than walking and the bus, time off work (I work straight commission) to try to get the car issues resolved with dealership and taking the car to repair shops for diagnosis and estimated? How much can I ask for?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/12/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Hi!Customerhere. I'll do my best to assist you.I can only provide general information, so a follow up consult with a private lawyer is recommended.
An arbitration clause is permitted via the following statute:
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/36.620
Validity of agreement to arbitrate
• form of acknowledgment of agreement
(1) An agreement contained in a record to submit to arbitration any existing or subsequent controversy arising between the parties to the agreement is valid, enforceable and irrevocable except upon a ground that exists at law or in equity for the revocation of a contract.
The buyer is limited to economic damages reasonably foreseeable resulting from the dealer's negligence or breach. These damages include the cost of repair/replacement of a defective item, but do not allow for emotional stress or lost wages. If the court finds the dealer acted in bad faith, they can award punitive damages, designed to punish the dealer and act as deterrent for future violations.
I'm sorry if this is not the information you wished to hear; however I feel I would be doing you a disservice if I did not provide accurate information. As such, please don't rate negatively due to the content of the information, but rather on the accuracy of the information. Thank you kindly for your understanding.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I do not want a phone conversation.
Do not send the offer for the phone conversation.
I'm sorry- I do not participate in the site's telephone service; most attorneys do not because it creates an attorney client relationship which is not something we are able to do per the bar's rules.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!