How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 35003
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a small car accident May 1. No injuries and the

Customer Question

I was in a small car accident May 1. No injuries and the other persons fault. The insurance is only willing to give me 3000 blue book value of my car that was totaled. My problem is I can't replace my car for 3k and I'm planning to buy a home in January and with a car payment of 200-300 a month for the next 2 yeRs, I will not qualify to buy a house now. Do I have any chance to go to court to ask for 7-8k to get a decent car without a payment
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
You are not required to take the offer presented by the insurance company. So you can absolutely refuse the offer and take them to court. However, understand that your ability to recover is limited by the value of your vehicle.
Specifically, if the value of your vehicle was $3000? That is all the insurance company is required to pay. If you wanted to sue them to receive more money you would have to prove your vehicle is worth more than the $3000 offered.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.