Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We recently purchased a car from a dealer and they said they…

Customer Question
We recently purchased a car...
We recently purchased a car from a dealer and they said they preformed an emission test. The gave us a paper that said was was done but didnt give any results. We called the DMV and they have no record of the vin as to having an emmisions check. So we cant transfer the title or register the vehical. does this void the sale?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/12/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Hi!Customerhere. I'll do my best to assist you.I can only provide general information, so a follow up consult with a private lawyer is recommended.
The dealer must disclose - in writing- if the vehicle did not pass the required emissions test. Failure to do so is considered a misdemeanor:
§ 46.2-1539. Inspection of vehicles required; penalty.
No person required to be licensed as a dealer under this chapter shall sell at retail any motor vehicle which is intended by the buyer for use on the public highways, and which is required to comply with the safety inspection requirements provided in Article 21 (§ 46.2-1157 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title unless between the time the vehicle comes into the possession of the dealer and the time it is sold at retail it is inspected by an official safety inspection station. In the event the vehicle is found not to be in compliance with all safety inspection requirements, the dealer shall either take steps to bring it into compliance or shall furnish any buyer intending it for use on the public highway a written disclosure, prior to sale, that the vehicle did not pass a safety inspection. Any person found guilty of violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
So per the statute, the dealer is required to bring the vehicle into compliance; if they refuse, the buyer can rescind (void) the sale.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!