Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

Do you pay taxes on winnings from you before organize you get your m

Customer Question

do you pay taxes on winnings from you before organize you get your money. i was called and told i won 250000.00 and need to pay state and fed taxes on it
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. If I understand the situation, it appears that you were called and told that you had won a large sum of money from some sort of sweepstakes, or contest, and that they are telling you that you have to pay taxes and fees upfront before you get your money. If that is the case, this is not a legitimate sweepstakes or contest. In other words, it is a scam.
There are no legitimate contests that would require that you prepay these fees. Legal lotteries and sweepstakes simply take the taxes out before they send you the money. The other indicator that you are being scammed is if you don't remember ever entering this contest. There is just no contest or sweepstakes that you can win like this without entering.
So, you definitely do not want to send any money and if you want to report the scam and find out more information about these types of scams, you can go to the Federal Trade Commission's webpage on this issue at the following link: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams
Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 11th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.