Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

My sister-in-law recently bought a used VW from the VW dealer

Customer Question

My sister-in-law recently bought a used VW from the VW dealer here in Tucson. She just had it in for service & they said it needs 4700 in repairs. Any recourse?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under Arizona law, the purchase of a used vehicle is considered "as is" unless she received a written warranty to the contrary. Did she have a written warranty? How long ago did she buy the car? Any evidence the seller knew of the hidden defects to the vehicle AT THE TIME OF SALE?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vehicle was purchased 5 month's ago & came with a written Vehicle Care Commitment listing known defects. None of the new services are on this.
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry to say that buying a used car and expecting that defects would be covered 5 months later is unfortunately unreasonable unless there was a written warranty covering them. I am afraid as I said that under Arizona law, a used purchase is as is, meaning the risk of hidden defects is on the buyer, not the seller, unless there was a written warranty providing coverage. The only possible way there could be a case is if your SIL could prove these defects existed at the time of sale and that the seller knew about them at that time, but 5 months after the fact that is going to be highly improbable and impossible to prove, as the fact of life is a used car breaks down from wear and tear and I am afraid to say she would not have a case or claim against the seller for this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. No further action needed.
Thank you very much for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of this site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless the customer leaves positive feedback. Thank you.