Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Wells fargo has charged me $1200 in a little over a year for

Customer Question

Wells fargo has charged me $1200 in a little over a year for overdraft fees that I didn't knowingly sign up for until it's to late and have not removed the overdraft protection. They have changed the order of my purchases to charge me even more money multiple times causing my to lose more money. This is not something that I can afford anymore to happen to me they will not do anything about it they blame me for these problems. My accounts have always had plenty of money in them in other accounts they don't do what was explained to me and it's gone on far to long this has been a very stressfull problem that I've been forced to take over and over what can I do about this illegal activity
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under Federal Trade Commission rules, banks must ask you to choose overdraft protection rather than enroll you automatically. If you did not opt into the overdraft protection, they can still charge you for bouncing checks, but they cannot charge you the overdraft protection fees. If they are doing so and will not refund them, then you can file a complaint against them with the Federal Trade Commission and also your State Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit and if they cannot resolve the dispute, you can file suit against them in small claims court to seek to recover the fees they charged you without your consent.