Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son bought a used car from Auto Nation yesterday and decided…

Customer Question
My son bought a used...
My son bought a used car from Auto Nation yesterday and decided it was not for him and tried to return it today. During the negotiations he declined to sign a waiver reneging his option to return the car for a full refund withing 3 days or 150 miles. The dealership refused to accept the return of the car and refund his money, so now he is stuck with it. What options does he have now?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/9/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.
I would first encourage your son to file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General's office for consumer fraud against Auto Nation for refusing to return the vehicle which is in violation of their terms. The AG's office may be able to offer him some assistance in getting the matter resolved. The link to the complaint form is here:
https://www.azag.gov/complaints/consumer
He should also file a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau:
www.bbb.org
He may also wish to speak to a local attorney regarding whether he should file a lawsuit. While normally a 3 day return policy is not normal in car purchases, here it was written into their contract, and since he did not waive that right, my opinion --based on these limited facts (not having read anything) is that he has a claim for breach of contract and misrepresentation.
Should you have any further questions or require clarification, please use the REPLY feature and I'll be happy to assist. Thank you.