Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

Mr. Kaplun. I have an 2007 DodgeCaliber with approx 80k miles.

Customer Question

Mr. Kaplun. I have an 2007 DodgeCaliber with approx 80k miles. Transmission going bad. Every repair agency claims this always was a bad design & poorly manufactured product. Repair is quite expensive. I'm concerned trans may lock up at highway speeds killing me & perhaps others who happen to be nearby. Apparently this tranny was always a problem Dodge managed to avoid-yet even the dealer admits it was a problem of poor design from the very beginning. Repair, $2500-3000. Can you help? Was there ever a recall or factory repair oder issued?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your post and thank you most kindly for requesting me. I was offline for a bit but would be happy to help if I can.
As far as recalls go, what I would suggest is that you go to this website, run your vehicle's VIN, and see what recalls if any apply:
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
Now, if this is a known defect that has caused an issue in the past, you want to reach out to other owners to see if they had similar concerns. If these defects keep occurring within the warranty period then perhaps you may have a basis for a class action. But as far as pursing the past owner, that is a long shot since you typically purchase the vehicle 'as is', and unless he failed to let you inspect, he is generally not liable beyond his statements to you, if they were knowingly false you may have basis to sue for misrepresentation.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.